About the DeFlorin Stone Cottage Inn

History of this Historical Landmark

The DeFlorin Stone Home was built in 1880 by John Martin DeFlorin, who along with his wife, Fidelia and their daughter, Caroline, immigrated to Missouri from Switzerland in 1871.
 
John was born in Switzerland on 8/29/1838 and his parents were from Germany.  Fidelia, whose maiden name was Maria Fidelia Schneider was also born in Switzerland on 11/8/1848 and her parents were from Germany as well.

In 1879 John and Fidelia purchased three lots on the West side of St. George Church for sixty dollars and built a small but authentic stone German house. John was a stone mason by trade and also built other stone houses in the area. John and Fidelia DeFlorin had nine children.
 
Fidelia died on 11/12/1891 at the age of forty three and she is buried in St. George Cemetery, just three blocks from DeFlorin Stone Cottage. On 7/10/1893, John then married Christina Schildmacher Osthoff. John passed on 2/16/1919 and is also buried in St. George Cemetery.
 
Pictures throughout this website show some of the building's handmade workmanship.  Your visit will be met with a finer look at Mr. DeFlorin's craftmanship.
 
The stone cottage's recent renovation and addition was by Jerry and Marilyn Snell.  Their hardwork excelled at retaining this home for guests and future generations.  Album pictures are in the cottage's living room. 

COTTAGE MEDALLION & DEFLORIN STONE MARKINGS

Two DeFlorin Cottage masonry markings show the home's age.  Look for the John DeFlorin's etched year marking '1880' on the east side of the cottage's exterior.  Now, can you find the medallion and year incising on the interior of the home? 

Hint: Lower Level Above a Doorway

OLD WINE CELLAR, WELLS, AND CISTERNS

Sitting near the top of its Hermann, Missouri hill and adjacent to St. George Catholic Church, the DeFlorin Stone Cottage had a collection of late 1800s cisterns and wells for water storage.  On the home's exterior, look at the stone garden.  Notice where the cistern was by the bench.  Now, look at the vintage old well spout in the garden's second level (which marks the second water basin).  Finally to the mystery, look at the pictures in the living room before the home's renovation.  Yes, up until the 21st Century, a large old passageway, wine cellar, and cistern are shown from the cottage's lower level UNDER the street!

ST. GEORGE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Research on the John DeFlorin family's relationship with the adjacent St. George Catholic Church are ongoing.  We believe that Mr. DeFlorin was a Church Deacon.  Title abstract research may help us determine how many clergy members called the DeFlorin cottage 'home' during their time at the parish.